Published on August 22nd, 2013 | by Jordan
7 Essential Tips for Cross-border Shopping
The first day of class is just around the corner and that means it’s time for back-to-school shopping. Before you make the annual expedition south of the border to take advantage of end of season sales and stock up on everything from backpacks to notebooks, keep these helpful tips in mind:
- Be prepared for delays at border crossings. Before heading out check border wait times at http://travel.gc.ca/.
- Purchase travel insurance even for a short shopping trip across the border. An unexpected trip to the emergency room or a visit to the doctor’s office can be expensive and OHIP may not cover it. CAA offers many travel insurance plans to suit your needs.
- Bring proper identification for yourself and any children travelling with you.
- Schedule a vehicle check-up a least a week before your road trip. Check your wiper blades and fluid levels. Test your battery and inspect your tires for any tears or bulges in the side wall.
- Pack a map as a back-up to your GPS. CAA offers maps and customized TripTik route planners to help get you where you are going safely. CAA can also help you book your hotel stay.
- Know how much you can bring back. For 48 hours or more, you can bring back goods, tax and duty-free, worth up to$800. For 24 hours or more, you can bring back goods, tax and duty-free, worth up to $200.
- Declare all purchases and have receipts ready at the border.
Have fun and good luck!
© 2018 CAA Club Group. All rights reserved. Serving Members in Southern and Central Ontario and Manitoba.
® CAA trademarks owned by, and use is authorized by, the Canadian Automobile Association.
Making bad days good. And good days better. is a trademark of CAA Club Group.
Back to Top ↑