Published on December 12th, 2013 | by Jordan
CAA’s Top Holiday Travel Tips and Destinations
For thousands of travellers, this holiday season will be packed with scenic golf courses, outdoor adventures, sun-kissed beaches and family fun.
For the month of December, CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO) has received approximately 5,000 requests for TripTiks – customized maps and route planners to help drivers get where they are going safely.
Top three popular holiday driving destinations for 2013:
- South Carolina
Make travelling by car over the holidays easier with these stress-free tips:
- Ensure you have a clearly planned route with alternative roads
- Check all fluids and tire pressure on your car
- Plan in-car activities like playing cards, watching movies or listening to music to occupy kids
- Pack an emergency roadside kit including a fully charged cell phone
“Whether you are driving or flying this holiday season, don’t forget to buy travel insurance because an unexpected trip to the emergency room or a visit to the doctor’s office can be expensive,” said Silvana Aceto, Media & PR Consultant, CAA SCO.
Before leaving on vacation, remember to also protect your home:
- Unplug appliances like coffee makers and toasters to ensure they don’t cause a fire while you are away
- Don’t leave keys on a hook by the door because this is the first place thieves look and your car could be stolen in addition to precious household items
- Ensure all windows and doors are closed and securely locked
- Suspend newspaper subscriptions and ask a friend, neighbour or relative to collect your mail
- Make sure your home looks lived in, have your driveway plowed and ask a neighbour to park in your driveway
- Shut off your water supply, and drain your pipes, or have a neighbour enter your home daily to ensure your furnace is working so your water pipes don’t freeze and flood your house
- Use motion detector lights outdoors and light switch timers indoors
- Invest in a home alarm system
- After the holidays, dispose of empty gift packaging carefully so as not to advertise new household items
- Don’t broadcast your travel plans on social media
© 2018 CAA Club Group. All rights reserved. Serving Members in Southern and Central Ontario and Manitoba.
® CAA trademarks owned by, and use is authorized by, the Canadian Automobile Association.
Making bad days good. And good days better. is a trademark of CAA Club Group.
Back to Top ↑