Published on August 26th, 2014 | by Silvana Aceto
5 Tips for your Cross-border Back-to-school Shopping Trip
It’s the time of year to stock up on all the school supplies and must-have tech gadgets students need before they go back to class next week. If you’re planning on driving across the U.S. border for back-to-school deals, CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO) recommends you put travel insurance on your shopping list.
“Accidents can happen anywhere at any time,” said Luxy Thuraisingam, travel insurance expert with CAA SCO. “That’s why it’s important to pack travel insurance for your next cross-border shopping trip.”
A trip to the emergency room or a doctor’s office for an injury or sudden illness may not be covered under OHIP. Travel insurance can protect you and your family if an emergency medical situation arises during your trip.
“If you visit the U.S. regularly or live near the border, consider purchasing a multi-trip annual plan to make sure you and your family are always covered,” said Thuraisingam. “The cost of medical care in the U.S. can be costly, and if you don’t have travel insurance, you will end up paying out of pocket.”
Cross-border road trip check list:
- Purchase travel insurance, make sure you understand your coverage before you leave and keep your policy on hand in your wallet or purse.
- Perform regular vehicle maintenance or schedule a full mechanical inspection at least one week before you leave.
- In the event of a vehicle breakdown, CAA offers 24 hour roadside services to members throughout Canada and the U.S.
- Plan your road trip in advance and contact CAA to receive TourBooks, TripTik route planners and online maps to help get you there safely.
- Download the free CAA Mobile App to access roadside assistance services, book a rental car, find a hotel or discover nearby attractions.
Did you know CAA Members get exclusive discounts and special offers on everything back to school? Find out how much you can save on our back to school shopping page.
© 2017 CAA South Central Ontario
Back to Top ↑