Published on January 3rd, 2014 | by Jordan
6 Must-Know Extreme Cold Weather Tips For Homeowners
With the frigid temperatures of winter peeking in and out of South Central Ontario, CAA Insurance policyholders may wish to call in to discuss their policy details or get insurance advice.
Matthew Turack, Vice President of Insurance here at CAA SCO offers these tips to help prevent damage to your property and speed along any potential claims process:
- Frozen pipes may be avoided by turning your taps on to a slow drip. This will help prevent water inside from freezing.
- If you open a faucet and no water comes out, don’t take any chances. Call a plumber. If a water pipe bursts, turn off the water at the main shut-off valve.
- If your home sustains damage due to a burst water pipe or other damage, have your policy number ready. This is one of the first pieces of information you’ll be asked for.
- Document and take photos of the damage. Adjusters will need as much information as possible.
- Ask questions about your home insurance coverage and deductible.
- While we will do everything possible to have an adjuster sent to their location to assess any damage, please note that due to the extreme weather and volume of calls that delays may occur and we thank you for your patience.
If you would like to inquire about damage to your property, please call our claims hotline at 1-800-387-2656 or 1-877-222-1717 any time, day or night.
© 2017 CAA South Central Ontario
Back to Top ↑