Published on May 11th, 2015 | by Jordan
5 Things to Know about Travel Insurance Before Your next Cross-border Shopping Trip
If you’re planning on driving across the U.S. border for the May long weekend, CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO) recommends you put travel insurance on your road-trip checklist.
“A sudden illness or injury can happen anywhere at any time, as one CAA Member found out,” said Luxy Thuraisingam, Director Marketing Insurance, CAA SCO. “Earlier this year, a 65-year-old man suffered a heart attack while driving to Florida. The patient underwent angioplasty and spent three days in the hospital before he was discharged and flown home. Fortunately, he bought medical insurance with CAA prior to leaving and his $120,000 USD medical bill* was covered,” added Thuraisingam.
CAA SCO recommends the following tips:
- Purchase travel insurance when cross-border shopping even if your stay is for a day or two.
- Don’t buy travel insurance on price alone.
- Make sure you understand your coverage before you leave.
- Keep your policy on hand in your wallet or purse.
- If you have any questions, ask your insurance advisor or insurance company.
CAA SCO offers a variety of plans to suit your needs. CAA Travel Insurance is underwritten by ORION Travel Insurance Company. Certain exclusions, limitations and restrictions apply. Subject to change without notice. A medical questionnaire may be required to purchase travel insurance.
*Based on actual case and claim payout.
© 2017 CAA South Central Ontario
Back to Top ↑